Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mugabe and the White African


Andy and I just got done watching the movie Mugabe and the White African. We put a bunch of Christmas movies on our netflix list, but they were all delayed so we got this movie sent to us. Not exactly on par with It's a Wonderful Life. But very good.

In many ways, I don't understand how the world can allow what has happened, and what is happening in Zimbabwe. But I know that I am guilty of forgetting or turning a blind eye, even though I know people who have been driven from their farms and families.

Why do these things go unnoticed by the majority of the world? Andy says it's because it's a different kind of story. We want to believe that colonialism was righted when countries were given their independence. It wasn't. I don't claim to have the answers, but this movie provoked plenty of questions.

Interesting that it was only short listed for the Academy Awards and a movie about saving dolphins won for best documentary instead. I like dolphins as much as the next person, but I think the message and story of Mugabe and the White African is one that needs hearing long before a message about dolphins.

No comments:

Post a Comment