Thursday, August 2, 2012

Midwives help people out

We were beyond blessed to have an amazing birth experience at the Austin Area Birthing Center. A lot of people wonder why we chose to go the birthing center route so I'll explain a little bit about what we wanted in prenatal care and the birth.

The most important thing to me was that I was receiving prenatal care somewhere that I felt comfortable. I had heard a little bit about the birthing center, so when we found out we were expecting we scheduled a tour. The whole atmosphere was very homey and comfortable, and the ladies who work at the front desk were amazingly friendly (I have a big thing about friendly receptionists).

I also liked the idea of having a natural birth, which I felt would be impossible for me if I had any other option. I know myself well enough that when the going got tough in the pain department, I would definitely give in to an epidural if given the option. Delivering at the birthing center took care of that problem, because they can't give any medication, much less an epidural. Not that I think anything is wrong with getting an epidural, I just really wanted to trust that God created my body in a perfect way to nurture and deliver our baby into this world.

As we continued our prenatal care, both Andy and I became increasingly impressed with the care we were receiving. Each midwife that we met with made us feel so comfortable and they were all so knowledgeable about natural ways to have a healthy pregnancy. Even the way they treated the baby was special. It seemed like they felt privileged to be able to feel him and listen to his heartbeat.

The more I learned about natural birth, the more I knew it was the right decision for me and for our baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment